Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole with Stuffing


According to the December 12, 2011 issue of Time magazine, “The cost of a home-cooked meal is rising faster than eating out.”  Does this mean that at some point it will be cheaper to eat out than to eat at home?  I’ve got to say I certainly hope so.  All of this cooking dinners every day is starting to wear me out.

In the meantime, I made a special treat for last night’s dinner, and it involves chicken, broccoli and stuffing in a casserole.  If somehow you’ve already divined this information, don’t get too full of yourself.  You’re not the only person who knows more than me.

To start my dinner I am going to cook the chicken.  I am using boneless chicken breasts, which cost a little more than split chicken breasts with the bones, but when you’re lazy and in a hurry as I usually am, boneless chicken saves a lot of effort.

So first I drizzle, which I’m pretty sure is Italian for “spill some”, olive oil in a pan, arrange the chicken breasts in the pan, sprinkle with salt and drizzle more olive oil onto the breasts.  Next I cut up some broccoli and put it on to steam.

While those are cooking can get started on the sauce portion of this casserole.  This amazing concoction consists of cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder and shredded cheddar cheese.  I won’t bore you here with the exact measurements, but I’ll just tell you that when I get done mixing it all together I have a bowl full of sinful deliciousness with just a slight kick to it.  This is what makes the whole dish so yummy.

I want to be careful not to over-steam the broccoli because it will just get mushy once t goes into the casserole.  The same goes for the chicken.  I want to take it out while it is slightly undercooked.  The chicken gets cut up into bite-sized pieces and goes into the casserole pan.  The cut up broccoli pieces go on top of the chicken so they mix together and when I eat it I get a bit of chicken, a bite of broccoli, or sometimes if I’m feeling dangerous, a bite of chicken and broccoli.

From the mixing bowl, I pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and broccoli and the whole casserole begins to take shape.  But there is one thing missing, and those of you who skipped to the end because you can’t stand the suspense have already figured it out.  There is stuffing to go on top.

This is ordinary turkey stuffing and it comes out of a box, so don’t be too surprised because everything up to this point has been made from scratch.  I’m still just a guy and I wouldn’t let you down.  For some of us, the best things come out of a box.

Here is the finished casserole when it comes out of the oven.  This was the only picture I was able to get.  Once it is ready to eat, it vanishes in a hurry.

However, let me add a picture of the guys working on a couple of throws at the last Scrivens Academy seminar.  Howard has a lot of good stuff to teach and I especially want to thank the guys for coming in to The Dungeon and taking part.  We’ll see you at the next seminar.



A good picture of Howard, with Jimmy Woo over his right shoulder and Bruce Lee over his left.

No comments:

Post a Comment