Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Grilled Spaghetti

Ok, so of course the first thing you’re asking is Grilled Spaghetti?  What is this guy talking about?  Clearly, he’s gone round the bend.

I have to confess that on the last part you are probably correct, although a bit late.  The deep end is someplace I might have gone off a long time ago.  But I digress.

Today our topic is spaghetti.  Spaghetti for dinner.  Plain old spaghetti with tomato sauce and meat, and big hunks of sliced Italian sausage.  So what’s the big deal about that?

Nothing.  Except who in their right mind would want to cook spaghetti in the house when outside the temperature is pushing ninety five and the air conditioner is straining and groaning and wheezing to keep the inside of the house relatively comfortable?  Since we’ve already established that I am not in my right mind, obviously that would be me.  I might be half a bubble off plumb, but I’m not stupid.

Which brings us to Grilled Spaghetti.

Might it be possible, thought I in my infinite wisdom, to boil water on the grill, outside, in the shade of the tree that hangs over the back patio?  I use the term “back patio” loosely, but again I digress.  Without boiling water, one will not get very far with spaghetti.  Mainly what you’ll wind up with is thick tomato soup with meat and a side of crunchy noodles.


As it turns out, I can boil water on the grill, but man does it get hot, and not much fun to get too close to the grill.  The point, however, is that all of that heat stayed outside the house, where it only added to the existing oppressive heat, instead of messing up my perfectly comfortable air conditioning inside the house.

While you're waiting for the hottest day of the summer to try this recipe, take a look at this nifty technique that Jeremy and I developed.


No comments:

Post a Comment